Old 17-06-2003, 02:08 AM
shannie

Default UPDATE - Apple fruitlets gone

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
news can anyone give me advise
as to what variety to choose. Basically it's an eater we're looking for,
something that wont require me to need a degree in pruning and

something
that will tolerate a little wind, not wonderful soil and perhaps a little
shade. Am I looking for miracles here or does such a plant exist?

You could consider a variety not usually found in shops - that also
gives the possibility of one of the regional varieties which may be more
suited to your climate. Since you need two trees, perhaps you could have
one that you know well and are confident about, and one a bit more
unusual? make sure they are in the same flowering group to ensure cross
pollination.

eg - in cropping at the same time as Discovery, and therefore not
keping for more than a fortnight

- Devonshire Quarrenden - small dark crimson fruit, juicy and
pleasantly flavoured, but susceptible to scab
Irish Peach - small, delicately flavoured, tip bearer. Inclined to be
shy fruiter when young.

Slightly later, and keeping a bit longer

Kerry Pippin - crisp and juicy
Herrings Pippin, which I have - large aromatic fruits - but actually I
find them too large and too aromatic - they're the size of a large
cooker! Prolific, hardy and vigorous and resistant to scab.

right through to - ripening in December and keeping till march

Ard cairn Russet - Irish, quite a large tree, scab resisitant
Cornish aromatic - another that I have - crisp and aromatic, and is
cropping well for me - reliable cropper not minding high rainfall.

Descriptions are from the Scotts (Merriott) catalogue.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

thanks Kay printed that lot off and will have it with me when I go
shopping in Autumn, will let you know what choice I've made then.

Shan