Old 17-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Debbie

Default Acers in Pots

"Colin Spooner" wrote in message ...
Help Please,
Could somebody please advise me of the best compost mix to grow Acer's in
pots?
I have Acer 'Sunset' 'Dragon Fire' 'Coral bark' and others,but would like
to give them the best chance of survival,as we all know, they are not cheap!
Also,I have lost a lot of growth,it has just gone brown and died.
Should I cut this off or leave it?
The Acer's are in a West facing aspect,could this be sun scorch?
many Thanks
Colin

I'm not an expert, but I have grown them (sometimes) successfully in
pots for several years now. You should be ok with a west aspect: I was
told that sun scorch was more likely first thing in the mornig, but
mine are all eastern aspects and I don't have a problem with that
either. It's more likely to be wind damage, or lack of water (it has
been very hot of late!). I would leave the damaged branches and see if
they recover. You can always prune them next year if they are dead,
and it will be more apparent then.

As for compost, I was told that they prefer acid soil, but I have them
growing in various different mixes, according to what I had available.
Mostly I use a loam based compost as it is heavier and doesn't dry out
so quickly.

Debbie