Old 16-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Colin Spooner

Default Acers in Pots

Help Please,
Could somebody please advise me of the best compost mix to grow Acer's in
pots?
I have Acer 'Sunset' 'Dragon Fire' 'Coral bark' and others,but would like
to give them the best chance of survival,as we all know, they are not cheap!
Also,I have lost a lot of growth,it has just gone brown and died.
Should I cut this off or leave it?
The Acer's are in a West facing aspect,could this be sun scorch?
many Thanks
Colin

Old 17-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Chris Norton

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:38:06 +0100, "Colin Spooner"
wrote:

Help Please,
Could somebody please advise me of the best compost mix to grow Acer's in
pots?
I have Acer 'Sunset' 'Dragon Fire' 'Coral bark' and others,but would like
to give them the best chance of survival,as we all know, they are not cheap!
Also,I have lost a lot of growth,it has just gone brown and died.
Should I cut this off or leave it?
The Acer's are in a West facing aspect,could this be sun scorch?
many Thanks
Colin

Dappled shade with free draining soil IF they are Acer Palmatums. If
Acer psudoplatenus then I would say don`t worry as I cannot kill mine
for the life of me and it`s only in a 4" black plastic pot!!!!!

Coral Bark is a Palmatum IIRC.
Old 17-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Debbie

"Colin Spooner" wrote in message ...
Help Please,
Could somebody please advise me of the best compost mix to grow Acer's in
pots?
I have Acer 'Sunset' 'Dragon Fire' 'Coral bark' and others,but would like
to give them the best chance of survival,as we all know, they are not cheap!
Also,I have lost a lot of growth,it has just gone brown and died.
Should I cut this off or leave it?
The Acer's are in a West facing aspect,could this be sun scorch?
many Thanks
Colin

I'm not an expert, but I have grown them (sometimes) successfully in
pots for several years now. You should be ok with a west aspect: I was
told that sun scorch was more likely first thing in the mornig, but
mine are all eastern aspects and I don't have a problem with that
either. It's more likely to be wind damage, or lack of water (it has
been very hot of late!). I would leave the damaged branches and see if
they recover. You can always prune them next year if they are dead,
and it will be more apparent then.

As for compost, I was told that they prefer acid soil, but I have them
growing in various different mixes, according to what I had available.
Mostly I use a loam based compost as it is heavier and doesn't dry out
so quickly.

Debbie
Old 17-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Paul Kelly

"Debbie" wrote in message
om...
"Colin Spooner" wrote in message

I'm not an expert, but I have grown them (sometimes) successfully in
pots for several years now. You should be ok with a west aspect: I was
told that sun scorch was more likely first thing in the mornig, but
mine are all eastern aspects and I don't have a problem with that
either. It's more likely to be wind damage, or lack of water (it has
been very hot of late!). I would leave the damaged branches and see if
they recover. You can always prune them next year if they are dead,
and it will be more apparent then.

As for compost, I was told that they prefer acid soil, but I have them
growing in various different mixes, according to what I had available.
Mostly I use a loam based compost as it is heavier and doesn't dry out
so quickly.

I also grow mine in post on an EAST aspect, early morning sun scorch is not
a problem - that really tends to be for early flowering things like
Camellias that don't cope with having buds defrosted so quickly.

They don't however cope at all well with full midday sun and dry roots -
hence I have mine on a watering system.

Compost - Loam basedJI #2. They don't like it too rich as it tends to "burn"
the root system plus as you say it dries out less quickly

Damaged branches: If it is recent ie frazzled leaves - leave to recover. If
is old dead twiggy stuff (snaps easily and dry in the fingers) cut off now
to avoid die back/disease/rot.

pk