Old 17-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Lynn Smythe

Default Growing stuff over the septic tank

We have our entire front yard garden planted directly over our septic
system. When we moved here 2 years ago the first thing we did was to remove
all the grass in the front yard and build 4 large 8' x 16' raised beds.

We have herbs planted in 2 of the beds and veggies, butterfly plants and
flowers planted in the other 2. In the center is a large round bird
bath/fountain/planter. We haven't had any problems with the septic system so
far and get lots of complements from the neighbors.

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
zone 10 - Delray Beach, FL
users.adelphia.net/~lynnsmythe

"WCD" wrote in message

Do people often plant gardens over septic tanks to take advantage of the
soil quality there? How common is this?

I've run into some people who wouldn't think of it, and others who don't
think twice.

Thanks.