Old 04-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Bob Walsh

Default crown rot -- please advise!

Tanya,

You might try putting it in a pot partially filled with foam peanuts and
topped with sphagnum. Then put it in a ziplock bag with the top turned down
so it stays open a ways. I have done this with phals just out of flask and
into compots ala Bedford Orchids "flasking demistfied." I have not tried it
to rescue a plant but who knows, it might work. It will keep the humidity
up. Don't leave much if any water in the bottom of the bag.

For the roots someone somewhere suggested just pulling the soft stuff the
old roots and leave the "wire" to help stabilize the plant in it's new pot
while it grows new roots.

Good Luck,

Bob