Old 04-03-2003, 01:28 AM
Gideon Singer

Default leaf dieback on newly deflasked orchids

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 00:30:01 UTC, Dewitt
wrote:

This practice will cease forthwith! Thank you for a quick reply on
something that I should have thought of before.

My deflasking experience consist of exactly one flask, but . . . The
person I purchased the flask from recommended using a fungicide when
deflasking. Also, since the flask was shipped through the mail, it
arrived in a jumble. I figured the mildest fungicide possible would
be a cinnamon powder extract made with plain water (rather than
alcohol). A worst it did no harm.

deg

Intresting enough I have deflasked other orchids with the water based
fugacide method and it did no harm, but it all depends on the orchids,
I guess, and the type of leaves they have. The orchid affected this
time is a Encyclia cochleata 'Pacific Spirit' x 'Athena'. I am just
hoping that the plants recover soon.
--
Gideon Singer
In Beautiful Vancouver BC