Old 05-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Benny F. Sevilla

Default Ginger?

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message

I performed my previous unfortunate experiment in Richmond, and I now
live in Oakland. If you can do it, I should be able to do it!

You should be able to do it. There are a lot of homes near the Berkeley-
Oakland area that have them in their front yards.

Most of my ginger plants are grown in pots (outdoors) and I use the garden
soil from nurseries.

Those that grow on local soil do not have any rhizome borers.

The alpinia zerumbet, grown on local soil, seem to thrive on both sun and
shade.
One unknown species languished for 3 years in the shade and almost died
until I moved it on a sunnier place.
Two other varieties (also unknown) grew half as tall as they were supposed
to be ( that is probably the effect of the local soil and the environment)

The Curcumas grew and flowered a lot but it was a mixture of garden soil and
local soil.

My biggest problem are squirrels; they tend to dig around the plants whether
potted or earthen.

Benny.

I grow them all outside here in Pleasant Hill, CA (zone 9a) where we get

an
occasional frost (just like last night).

Please
tell me, have you had any problems with something boring holes through
the roots, and if so, how do you control it? What have you learned
about the effect of local soil properties on your results?

Send email to jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.