Old 17-06-2003, 11:44 PM
dolores

Default tomatoes

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
In message , dolores
writes
Hi, my name is Ronan, I'm 13 and love gardening but have ony been doing

it
for 1 year cos we just moved from a city to the countryside. I grew some
tomatoes from seed and there are a few tomatoes on them. I'm growing them

in
pots on my mothers windowsill in the kitchen and cant put them outside

cos
the weather is too wet and windy here in the West of Ireland.

They have grown 3 to 4 foot high but have little lumps growing up the
stalks, but not on the branches or leaves. Someone said they are roots

but
I'm wondering if they are parasites and if they could damage my crop.

does
anyone know?

Are these little lumps mostly towards the bottom of the stem?

Yes, I think they are some sort of 'proto root' - if you plant a tomato
deeper in the soil it will happily send out roots from the stem, I think
that is what these bumps are - we certainly get something l similar on
our plants AFAICR
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

I thought they were roots too, but my mother said naaaaaah , but she doesnt
know a thing about gardening and is always giving out about the jungle on
her windowsills. Does this mean i'm not planting the seeds deep enough and
should I earth up or repot them. Thanks

Ronan