Old 16-06-2003, 10:56 PM
dolores

Default tomatoes

Hi, my name is Ronan, I'm 13 and love gardening but have ony been doing it
for 1 year cos we just moved from a city to the countryside. I grew some
tomatoes from seed and there are a few tomatoes on them. I'm growing them in
pots on my mothers windowsill in the kitchen and cant put them outside cos
the weather is too wet and windy here in the West of Ireland.

They have grown 3 to 4 foot high but have little lumps growing up the
stalks, but not on the branches or leaves. Someone said they are roots but
I'm wondering if they are parasites and if they could damage my crop. does
anyone know?

Also, am I right to feed them with tomato feed every time I water them?

Ronan

Old 17-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Alan Gould

In article , dolores
writes
Hi, my name is Ronan, I'm 13 and love gardening but have ony been doing it
for 1 year cos we just moved from a city to the countryside. I grew some
tomatoes from seed and there are a few tomatoes on them. I'm growing them in
pots on my mothers windowsill in the kitchen and cant put them outside cos
the weather is too wet and windy here in the West of Ireland.

They have grown 3 to 4 foot high but have little lumps growing up the
stalks, but not on the branches or leaves. Someone said they are roots but
I'm wondering if they are parasites and if they could damage my crop. does
anyone know?

Also, am I right to feed them with tomato feed every time I water them?

Ronan

Hullo Ronan - congratulations on your tomato project. I don't know what
those lumps are on the stems, but my guess is that the plants are being
over fed. You don't need to feed them every time you water them if they
are in good soil. I give ours just one feed when their first trusses
form, no more. Don't over water them either, just keep the soil moist so
that it does not dry out. As the plants are in pots, it would be best to
stop them when they have formed up their fourth trusses by pinching off
the tops.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , dolores
writes
Hi, my name is Ronan, I'm 13 and love gardening but have ony been doing it
for 1 year cos we just moved from a city to the countryside. I grew some
tomatoes from seed and there are a few tomatoes on them. I'm growing them in
pots on my mothers windowsill in the kitchen and cant put them outside cos
the weather is too wet and windy here in the West of Ireland.

They have grown 3 to 4 foot high but have little lumps growing up the
stalks, but not on the branches or leaves. Someone said they are roots but
I'm wondering if they are parasites and if they could damage my crop. does
anyone know?

Are these little lumps mostly towards the bottom of the stem?

Yes, I think they are some sort of 'proto root' - if you plant a tomato
deeper in the soil it will happily send out roots from the stem, I think
that is what these bumps are - we certainly get something l similar on
our plants AFAICR
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 17-06-2003, 11:44 PM
dolores

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , dolores
writes
[...]

Thankyou for your help. I dont think they are overwatered cos sometimes they
wilt a bit. They are quite tall though, do you think I should cut them to a
shorter height. Thanks

Ronan

Old 17-06-2003, 11:44 PM
dolores

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
In message , dolores
writes
[...]

I thought they were roots too, but my mother said naaaaaah , but she doesnt
know a thing about gardening and is always giving out about the jungle on
her windowsills. Does this mean i'm not planting the seeds deep enough and
should I earth up or repot them. Thanks

Ronan

Old 18-06-2003, 12:56 AM
[...]

Probably not.

It's got nothing to do with the depth of seed planting. When We pot on
our toms we do tend to plant them deep in the pots so they can put out
roots from the base of the stem, but we still get these bumps on the
stem above the soil anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 18-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Alan Gould

In article , dolores
writes

Thankyou for your help. I dont think they are overwatered cos sometimes they
wilt a bit. They are quite tall though, do you think I should cut them to a
shorter height. Thanks

Plants can wilt for other reasons than being short of water, but if you
keep the soil moist, yours should be quite happy. Don't cut them
shorter, but pinch out the tops to stop any further trusses from
forming. In a pot, three or four trusses will be about right.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.