Old 18-06-2003, 01:44 AM
montana

Default rose bushes next to house

In article ,
~consul wrote:

My friend just planted rose bushes right next to their house, b/w the house
and driveway,
which is only about 2 feet apart.
This is wrong, right? The roots will eventually push up the driveway and into
the house
foundation and the branches will scratch the car and you shouldn't be
watering something
as thirsty as a rose bush next to the house?
There is still time to transplant them, right, as they planted them about 1
month ago.

I've had rose bushes right next to the house almost everywhere I've ever
lived from childhood to AARP. I never saw any driveway or foundation
damage as the roots aren't particularly large. None of the roses
required that much water, either; certainly not enough to damage the
foundation. The part about the car is worth considering. I don't like
roses planted along the driveway because it does make getting out of the
car difficult (that's why we put the roses close to the house). Other's
milage may vary, but I don't see a big problem.