Old 18-06-2003, 12:20 AM
~consul

Default rose bushes next to house

My friend just planted rose bushes right next to their house, b/w the house and driveway,
which is only about 2 feet apart.
This is wrong, right? The roots will eventually push up the driveway and into the house
foundation and the branches will scratch the car and you shouldn't be watering something
as thirsty as a rose bush next to the house?
There is still time to transplant them, right, as they planted them about 1 month ago.
--
.... if I could hold her with me once again ... I would tell her that I miss her ... I
still miss Kyla ...

Old 18-06-2003, 01:44 AM
montana

In article ,
~consul wrote:

My friend just planted rose bushes right next to their house, b/w the house
and driveway,
which is only about 2 feet apart.
This is wrong, right? The roots will eventually push up the driveway and into
the house
foundation and the branches will scratch the car and you shouldn't be
watering something
as thirsty as a rose bush next to the house?
There is still time to transplant them, right, as they planted them about 1
month ago.

I've had rose bushes right next to the house almost everywhere I've ever
lived from childhood to AARP. I never saw any driveway or foundation
damage as the roots aren't particularly large. None of the roses
required that much water, either; certainly not enough to damage the
foundation. The part about the car is worth considering. I don't like
roses planted along the driveway because it does make getting out of the
car difficult (that's why we put the roses close to the house). Other's
milage may vary, but I don't see a big problem.
Old 18-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:11:47 -0700, ~consul
wrote:

My friend just planted rose bushes right next to their house, b/w the house and driveway,
which is only about 2 feet apart.
This is wrong, right? The roots will eventually push up the driveway and into the house
foundation and the branches will scratch the car and you shouldn't be watering something
as thirsty as a rose bush next to the house?
There is still time to transplant them, right, as they planted them about 1 month ago.

I doubt the rose roots will do any damage. I would not put a rose
bush where the thorns could be a nuisance. I keep all plant material
at least one foot from the house to allow adequate ventilation. A
rose likes fertile sunny conditions with at least 1" water per week.
The best time to transplant is during dormancy, but a recently planted
rose could probably be moved without harm. Water the rose
immediately after the transplant, and water/soak again the following
day.
Old 18-06-2003, 10:44 PM
antonious

Shouldn't be any problems (Other than the car, but rose thorns SHOULDNT be
hard enoough to do damage)
you can move the roses if you would like. just don't let thier roots dry
out.

Old 19-06-2003, 04:08 PM
mmarteen

I don't see a problem either. Roses are not like trees, their roots
shouldn't be headed toward the foundation but toward sources of water. I
have never seen a rose bush push up a driveway or even crack the cement on a
sidewalk. Around here hardy roses are planted right next to sidewalks in
public areas. As for the watering, don't overwater, it invites pests and
disease anyway. The roses might actually soak up water making its way to
the foundation rather than attract water to it. I was visting a house once
where the owner complained that they never had leaking basement (concrete
block) problems until they removed a large fern growing right next to the
basement wall. Apparently the fern was sucking down the water.

mm