Old 18-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Phisherman

Default rose bushes next to house

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:11:47 -0700, ~consul
wrote:

My friend just planted rose bushes right next to their house, b/w the house and driveway,
which is only about 2 feet apart.
This is wrong, right? The roots will eventually push up the driveway and into the house
foundation and the branches will scratch the car and you shouldn't be watering something
as thirsty as a rose bush next to the house?
There is still time to transplant them, right, as they planted them about 1 month ago.

I doubt the rose roots will do any damage. I would not put a rose
bush where the thorns could be a nuisance. I keep all plant material
at least one foot from the house to allow adequate ventilation. A
rose likes fertile sunny conditions with at least 1" water per week.
The best time to transplant is during dormancy, but a recently planted
rose could probably be moved without harm. Water the rose
immediately after the transplant, and water/soak again the following
day.