Old 18-06-2003, 06:42 AM
David Rance

Default Grapes

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Colin Malsingh wrote:

I want to grow a grapevine in my new greenhouse. I would like to grow red
grapes. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:

Should I buy seed or plants?

I would buy plants. Many garden centres and lots of online places will
sell quite a wide range of varieties - just look in their fruit
section.

The advantage of getting a plant is that it will be established
(usually grafted onto suitably resistant rootstock - something that
would be harder for you to achieve growing from seed).

Resistant to what? The only reason that vines are grafted is to avoid
phylloxera but we are not bothered with that in this country. Even if
vines are grafted they will still be vulnerable to the mildews.

I've been growing vines (grafted and non-grafted) for twenty-seven years
and have never had a case of phylloxera!

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |