Old 18-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Nedra

Default Iris, VF and Pebbles...

Yep ... Bonnie is right about gravel and rocks in the veggie
filter. It took me three weeks (at least!) to clean out my VF. ...
full of hydrogen sulfide... no fish either. It is the water itself that
"rots" ! Now don't any of you scientists come in and argue that
with me .... I don't argue with scientists ... lol
Just go on what has worked 'for' - 'against' - or 'with' me!
I don't think we need anything else - just water and time ....

Nedra

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message

BenignVanilla wrote:

I am using WH and Iris as my primary VF plants. I was thinking of

taking

the

iris out of the pots they are in and planting them directly in piles of
pebbles in the VF. Any thoughts?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

My thought is that you'll be sorry you put pebbles
in the vf.;-)

I know the whole pebbles are verboten theory because of the hydrogen
sulfide, but my VF has no fish? So is HS still a worry? My VF is only a

foot
deep at best, so I would think that planting right in it would be a

great
idea.

Bonnie...more, more...tell me more on you thoughts...

BV.

I do have iris planted in pebbles in my bog. I won't put
stones in the vf now because I did have them for several
years (ask Nedra) and the yearly clean out was really nasty!
The clean out is much easier without the stones or pebbles.
That was my only concern - I didn't know about the HS.

--
Bonnie
NJ