Old 18-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Alan Gould

Default melons flowering too soon?

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
I am growing melons in my greenhouse for the first time, only previously
having grown them in pots.

The plants are now about 16 inches tall, growing vigorously, and have
started to flower.

Are they too small? Should I remove the flowers till the plants are a bit
bigger?

When growing in pots I let them do their own thing, as I wasn't expecting
more than a fruit per plant anyway. But this time I would like more
fruits, as they have a whole bed to themselves.

Let the fruits develop - 2 to 4 growing fruits per plant in soil, but
if in pots restrict each plant to max. two melons growing at any one
time. It is not the size of the plant that matters, it is the care it is
given when it needs it most.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.