Old 18-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Victoria Clare

Default melons flowering too soon?

I am growing melons in my greenhouse for the first time, only previously
having grown them in pots.

The plants are now about 16 inches tall, growing vigorously, and have
started to flower.

Are they too small? Should I remove the flowers till the plants are a bit
bigger?

When growing in pots I let them do their own thing, as I wasn't expecting
more than a fruit per plant anyway. But this time I would like more
fruits, as they have a whole bed to themselves.

Victoria
Old 18-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
I am growing melons in my greenhouse for the first time, only previously
having grown them in pots.

The plants are now about 16 inches tall, growing vigorously, and have
started to flower.

Are they too small? Should I remove the flowers till the plants are a bit
bigger?

When growing in pots I let them do their own thing, as I wasn't expecting
more than a fruit per plant anyway. But this time I would like more
fruits, as they have a whole bed to themselves.

Let the fruits develop - 2 to 4 growing fruits per plant in soil, but
if in pots restrict each plant to max. two melons growing at any one
time. It is not the size of the plant that matters, it is the care it is
given when it needs it most.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 18-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Registered User

Location: London

May I ask where do you buy melon seeds from. Are they available at B&Q or can you just grow the ones that come out a melon that you are eating? also do they have to grown in a greenhouse or can they be grown outside?
Old 19-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Dwayne

You can grow the ones out of a melon, but you may not come up with the same
melon you expected. I saved seeds from a muskmelon that was very good, and
when I planted them I got about 40 muskmelon plants and 4 cantaloupe from
the same batch of seeds. It the melon you bought was not isolated from
other melons, the seeds will not be pure. They still taste good.

Dwayne

s.com...

Old 19-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Victoria Clare

dommy wrote in
s.com:

May I ask where do you buy melon seeds from. Are they available at B&Q
or can you just grow the ones that come out a melon that you are
eating? also do they have to grown in a greenhouse or can they be grown
outside?

I think mine came from a garden centre, but they are pretty widely
available to buy as packet seed.

I bought a variety that is supposed to be hardy enough to grow outside, as
I reckoned that would do even better in a greenhouse. I think I planted
mine out too soon (early may) as they definitely got a bit of a shock and
stood still for a while before taking off this month.

I always seem to do this with seed! Next year I am resolved I am not going
to plant any seeds before May.

Most varieties you can buy as seed are recommended for greenhouse culture,
so I'd guess that any you got out of a supermarket melon would probably
prefer that, unless you are somewhere particularly sheltered and warm (I'm
not!)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 19-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Registered User

Location: London

thanks for the replies, victoria and dwayne. Think i may buy a hard pack of seeds from the garden centre then and grow them outside since i havent got a greenhouse.
Old 19-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Victoria Clare

dommy wrote in
s.com:

thanks for the replies, victoria and dwayne. Think i may buy a hard pack
of seeds from the garden centre then and grow them outside since i
havent got a greenhouse.

Given your compost plans mentioned below, you could try growing them on top
of a compost heap. Have not tried this, but I have seen it suggested as a
way to make sure they get the warm rich soil they like.

Victoria
Old 20-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Dwayne

Save some of the seeds for next year, and start them inside 30 days before
your last frost. Then after all danger of frost has passed, transplant them
outside. You can cover them at night with a plastic bottle with the bottom
cut off. Be sure to either take the bottle off during the day, or at least
take the lid off. If not you can "cook" your baby plants.

I have 3 rows of muskmelons and 2 rows of cantaloupe planted, that are 50 ft
long each. (I was lucky enough to find a man that lets me use his land and
watering system.) The muskmelons will "slip" off when they are ripe, but
how do I tell when the cantaloupe are ready?

Dwayne

.218...

Old 21-06-2003, 01:08 AM

I have 3 rows of muskmelons and 2 rows of cantaloupe planted, that are 50
ft
long each.

50-foot long melon plants! That must be quite a sight!

My greenhouse-based melons are only around 1.5m tall right now.

:-)

- h

Old 21-06-2003, 11:56 AM

If you think that is long, you should see my squash plants.

Size isn't everything you know ;-)

Best,

- h

Old 21-06-2003, 11:56 AM
martin

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:53:58 +0100, "H"
wrote:

If you think that is long, you should see my squash plants.

Size isn't everything you know ;-)

you should see his cucumbers :-)
--
martin

How soon is too soon? General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 4 05-03-2007 05:39 PM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
i spoke too soon: mad Ponds 14 01-04-2003 06:44 AM
Is it too soon to fertilize? JimS. Roses 4 08-02-2003 08:25 PM