Old 18-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Joanne

Default Starting Basil from seed

"Darwin Vander Stelt" wrote in message ...
I have had problems getting Basil to start from seed in a raised bed
outdoors. I even covered the seed with a peat moss-soil-vermiculite mixture
that wouldn't crust. I sprinkle it once or twice a day . .could it be that
the new seedlings, which have very tiny leaf surfaces, are getting destroyed
in the sprinkling? How do you do it?

My vote is for too much watering. Where are you? Is the soil truely
warm there yet? Unless the soil is warm the seeds will not germinate.
You can always start them indoors if you have a warm window sill.

jc