Old 18-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Jon Endres, PE

Default Anyone cage their pepper plants?

Different method:

I grow in 4 x 4 boxes ala Square Foot gardening. I have 16 plants per box
on 1 ft spacing. I take a 5' x 5' piece of concrete reinforcing mesh and
suspend it about 16" above the soil level on a wooden frame. That way, the
plants grow up through the mesh and are supported by the 6" squares of the
mesh as well as the frame and each other. Have never lost a plant or had
anything tip over by doing this.

I also use the 5 x 5 pieces of reinforcing mesh to make my tomato cages.
Last year Ihad a Striped German grow up to the top of the cage and bend back
down to ground level - a 10' tall plant. That's in Southern Vermont a Zone
5a.