Old 18-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Kevin Miller

Default Anyone cage their pepper plants?

Anyone cage their pepper plants?
Old 18-06-2003, 05:56 AM
zxcvbob

Kevin Miller wrote:

Anyone cage their pepper plants?

Yes. I use those cheap wire tomato cages. It helps keep the pepper limbs
from breaking in windstorms late in the season.

My brother last year grew some mild habaneros in 5 foot concrete wire
cages, like I use for tomatoes. Those pepper plants grew over 8 feet tall.
I'd never seen anything like it.

Bob

Old 18-06-2003, 11:32 AM
KK from NJ

Kevin Miller Pkevinf

Anyone cage their pepper plants?

l'll be caging some of mine this year. Lowes had those round 3 ring galv. metal
ones for 98 cents apiece. Not bad.
Old 18-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Kevin Miller said:

Anyone cage their pepper plants?

I'm with Bob. I use those cheap wire tomato cages (which are WAY too
small for a thriving tomato plant). Keeps the plants from falling over or
breaking under the load of fruit.

I'm able to fit 18 cages on a 4' x 8' bed by setting them out 3-2-3-2-3-2-3
across.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 18-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Steve Calvin

Kevin Miller wrote:
Anyone cage their pepper plants?

For whatever reason, I've never had reason to cage my peppers.
The plants don't get large enough to worry about. And I still get a
*ton* of peppers.

Now, the tomatoes and cukes are a totally different story...

--
Steve

Old 18-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Ed G. Bowlin

tomato cages,,,only way to go for Bell Peppers,,, :-)
Ed, zone 8-9, Ca.

Old 18-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Frankhartx

Anyone cage their pepper plants?

I stake mine with small stakes-they don't get very tall but become so loaded
with fruit that they may collapse under the weight.
Old 18-06-2003, 07:32 PM
JohnDKestell

I'm with these guys,
here in AL, we had way too much rain, not enought sun, and the peppers got
really leggy and fell over.

I can't control the weather, but putting them in some cages lets them not snap
off.

I would cage or stake them

later
john
Old 18-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Jon Endres, PE

Different method:

I grow in 4 x 4 boxes ala Square Foot gardening. I have 16 plants per box
on 1 ft spacing. I take a 5' x 5' piece of concrete reinforcing mesh and
suspend it about 16" above the soil level on a wooden frame. That way, the
plants grow up through the mesh and are supported by the 6" squares of the
mesh as well as the frame and each other. Have never lost a plant or had
anything tip over by doing this.

I also use the 5 x 5 pieces of reinforcing mesh to make my tomato cages.
Last year Ihad a Striped German grow up to the top of the cage and bend back
down to ground level - a 10' tall plant. That's in Southern Vermont a Zone
5a.

Old 21-06-2003, 07:44 AM
neilselluski

I have and it works pretty good..........looking for nicer looking
alternatives tho.....will try staking this year

Old 21-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Frogleg

"Kevin Miller" wrote

Anyone cage their pepper plants?

Sure. I use the conical cages sold, but much too flimsy for mature
tomato plants. The purpose is support, and a tomato cage (the ones
about 4' high incl. the in-the-ground part) seem to be good enough for
a fair-sized pepper plant with lots of lovely fruit.