Old 19-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Ron

Default Rhubarb and blackfly.

"Andy Spragg" wrote in message What I am
wondering is, do blackfly have natural predators that I
could encourage? I was momentarily hopeful when I noticed a ladybird
in close proximity to the little bliughters on one of the affected
plants - however, on closer examination, it turned out to be two
labybirds, too busy making whoopee to have dinner on their mind.

Andy,

Ladybirds and their larvae are the predators you need but the blackfly have
a Dad's Army - ants - so if you want to give the ladybirds a fighting
chance, kill of any nearby ants nests too. I've found Nippon to be very
effective.

By the way, also goes for runner beans' blackfly.

Regards

Ron