Old 18-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Ron

Default Rhubarb and blackfly.

Urglers,

A short while ago there was a question about boiling rhubarb leaves and
using the water to get rid of blackfly.

I suggested that if the oxalic acid in the leaves was thereby disolved in
the water, the water might indeed kill off blackfly.

I now think that the water will not kill the blackfly for the leaves of my
rhubarb are a home to many of the b - - - - - things!

But on the other hand, if the water used was boiling hot . . . . . . . .!!!

Regards

Ron

Old 18-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Paul D.Smith

I've been encouraging some dock (?) leaves in my garden as we have lots of
stinging nettles. These have been covered with black fly but the rhubard
very nearby has not. Perhaps there is a use for dock as a distraction.

Paul DS.

Old 18-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Andy Spragg

"Ron" pushed briefly to the front of the queue
on Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:06:35 +0100, and nailed this to the shed door:

^ Urglers,
^
^ A short while ago there was a question about boiling rhubarb leaves and
^ using the water to get rid of blackfly.
^
^ I suggested that if the oxalic acid in the leaves was thereby disolved in
^ the water, the water might indeed kill off blackfly.
^
^ I now think that the water will not kill the blackfly for the leaves of my
^ rhubarb are a home to many of the b - - - - - things!
^
^ But on the other hand, if the water used was boiling hot . . . . . . . .!!!

Until a few days ago, I was marvelling at the fact that my broad beans
were blackfly-free, when a nearby allotment's crop was absolutely
festooned. However, one or two of my plants have now acquired a modest
quota.

What I am wondering is, do blackfly have natural predators that I
could encourage? I was momentarily hopeful when I noticed a ladybird
in close proximity to the little bliughters on one of the affected
plants - however, on closer examination, it turned out to be two
labybirds, too busy making whoopee to have dinner on their mind.

Andy
--

"No, you claim the magpie is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of magpies."

Old 18-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Drakanthus

What I am wondering is, do blackfly have natural predators that I
could encourage? I was momentarily hopeful when I noticed a ladybird
in close proximity to the little bliughters on one of the affected
plants - however, on closer examination, it turned out to be two
labybirds, too busy making whoopee to have dinner on their mind.

Andy

You may be in luck then - ladybird larvae eat more pests than adults.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 19-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Ron

"Andy Spragg" wrote in message What I am
wondering is, do blackfly have natural predators that I
could encourage? I was momentarily hopeful when I noticed a ladybird
in close proximity to the little bliughters on one of the affected
plants - however, on closer examination, it turned out to be two
labybirds, too busy making whoopee to have dinner on their mind.

Andy,

Ladybirds and their larvae are the predators you need but the blackfly have
a Dad's Army - ants - so if you want to give the ladybirds a fighting
chance, kill of any nearby ants nests too. I've found Nippon to be very
effective.

By the way, also goes for runner beans' blackfly.

Regards

Ron

Old 19-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Ron

Andy,

Ladybirds and their larvae are the predators you need Snip

P.S.

The ladybird larvae are dark grey oval shaped with orange markings. They
grow to about 0.5 cms long.

Regards again

Ron