Old 04-03-2003, 02:39 PM
animaux

Default Smokers and Tomatoes. HUH?

I worked as a grower for many years up on Long Island and we wouldn't hire
anyone who smoked because of the possibility of tobacco mosaic virus coming into
the greenhouses. It can be spread by smoke, or hand to plant after touching an
infected cigarette. I know it sounds strange, but there is a link between the
two.

Leaf curl can also be caused by compost made of materials which have been
treated with Picloram. That is a broadleaf herbicide used on coastal bermuda
hay. Many facilities use the bedding hay in their commercial compost. The hay
can go through the stomach of the horse, be composted using a hot pile method
and still be persistent in the compost, effecting the plant by leaf curl.
INsidious.

Victoria

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 22:40:38 -0600, jammer wrote:

This is clipped from a conversation about leaf curl on tomato
plants!!!
I smoke and i have this problem and i have NEVER heard of such a
thing!! Have YOU?????

What comes to my mind what curls and kills the leave of tomato plants
is a tobacco virus. Is there someone who uses tobacco products
touching the plants or even getting close to them? Is someone growing
tobacco in your neighborhood? Tomato plants are terribly susceptible
to tobacco and nicotine and their viruses.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/gg208.htm

jammer