Old 04-03-2003, 04:51 AM
jammer

Default Smokers and Tomatoes. HUH?

This is clipped from a conversation about leaf curl on tomato
plants!!!
I smoke and i have this problem and i have NEVER heard of such a
thing!! Have YOU?????

What comes to my mind what curls and kills the leave of tomato plants
is a tobacco virus. Is there someone who uses tobacco products
touching the plants or even getting close to them? Is someone growing
tobacco in your neighborhood? Tomato plants are terribly susceptible
to tobacco and nicotine and their viruses.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/gg208.htm

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 04-03-2003, 05:03 AM
jammer

I am seeing there are other plants suseptible to this! African violets
are one of them! I have never had trouble with AV's though. I just
think it's a trip. I am looking for better info about it.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 04-03-2003, 07:53 AM
Valkyrie

There was all kinds of info, too many to post links, on this subject in my
Google search. I used 'tomato plants+smokers'. I was a smoker for years
and grew great tomatoes, and smoked in my garden too. I must have been
growing varieties that were resistant or was just lucky, who knows.

Val

Old 04-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Ann

jammer expounded:

This is clipped from a conversation about leaf curl on tomato
plants!!!
I smoke and i have this problem and i have NEVER heard of such a
thing!! Have YOU?????

There's a known connection between the two.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 04-03-2003, 02:39 PM
animaux

I worked as a grower for many years up on Long Island and we wouldn't hire
anyone who smoked because of the possibility of tobacco mosaic virus coming into
the greenhouses. It can be spread by smoke, or hand to plant after touching an
infected cigarette. I know it sounds strange, but there is a link between the
two.

Leaf curl can also be caused by compost made of materials which have been
treated with Picloram. That is a broadleaf herbicide used on coastal bermuda
hay. Many facilities use the bedding hay in their commercial compost. The hay
can go through the stomach of the horse, be composted using a hot pile method
and still be persistent in the compost, effecting the plant by leaf curl.
INsidious.

Victoria

Old 05-03-2003, 01:15 AM
Sed5555

I smoke and i have this problem and i have NEVER heard of such a
thing!! Have YOU?????

Yes. See this article:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...it/smoking.htm
sed5555
Old 05-03-2003, 04:03 AM
jammer

What a trip. I never ever heard that my entire life. I will wash my
hands before messing with the plants.....

Speaking of plants

I transplanted 10 tomato seedlings into 3 inch pots today. I watered
them with 1/4 strength miracle grow and they have made it through the
day. I let them get an hour of indirect sunlight and wind. If i
actually get good plants from these seeds, it will be the first time i
have pulled this off successfully. I have one good cantalope seedling,
am hoping for 3. No sign of the watermelon yet. I am hoping for 3.

I also repotted my friend's ficus i am trying not to kill while she is
in transition with finding a house. I noticed new growth. YIPPEE! (I
had pruned it a few weeks ago and it didnt have a leaf on it and was
root bound) It is badly in need of mild outdoor temps.

I guess that was about it. The day was gorgeous and we deserved it. I
took the temp in my pond and it was 42. I bought some fish food the
other day.

Old 05-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Frankhartx

What a trip. I never ever heard that my entire life. I will wash my
hands before messing with the plants.....

TMV is a s scarce as hens teeth.- and little cause for alarm. You stand a much
better chance of getting struck by lightening so never venture outdoors.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:27 PM

lets look at a few facts.
TMV kills tobacco, so fields with TMV are going to be destroyed, not grown up to make
cigarettes. Late and inapparent infections could be present in mature plants.
When tobacco is smoked, a fire combusts the material so it can be "smoked".
Fire kills virus.
Cigarettes are wrapped in paper by machines. The paper that comes into contact with
people's hands is not infected with TMV.

OTOH, TMV infects all kinds of other plants domestic and weed and is present in the
wild. It is carried by sucking insects from plant to plant. Not all plants infected
show disease, so weeding is more likely to cover the hands with all kinds of
diseases.
Touching the plant is not the most efficient way to transmit the virus. Handling the
plant that damages cells can for instance transplanting and suckering a tomato plant.
But the greatest source of TMV is going to be infected plants, so washing hands WHILE
TRANSPLANTING is going to prevent plant to plant transmission.

Ingrid

animaux wrote:
Please site this information or stop giving this as a suggestion. I've stood
and watched an entire greenhouse go down from TMV in a two day period because
one of the workers didn't wash his hands before running the transplant line.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:20 PM
animaux

Ingrid, I have nothing but respect for you, but I was a commercial grower for
years in one of the largest operations in America up on the east coast on Long
Island. They grew billions of flats of plants and perennials and TMV can and
does survive the smoking process. I'm not anti-smoking. I do not smoke any
more, and I used to smoke 2 packs a day. I voted to keep smoking rights in
public, etc. It's not a moral issue. However, tobacco is a nightshade, and all
nightshade plants are susceptible to TMV. I'm not saying you will infect your
garden, but I am saying there is a link at the commercial level. And yes, they
indeed do include infected tobacco when making cigarette grade tobacco for
smoking.

animaux wrote:
Please site this information or stop giving this as a suggestion. I've stood
and watched an entire greenhouse go down from TMV in a two day period because
one of the workers didn't wash his hands before running the transplant line.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.