Old 19-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Victoria Clare

Default melons flowering too soon?

dommy wrote in
s.com:

May I ask where do you buy melon seeds from. Are they available at B&Q
or can you just grow the ones that come out a melon that you are
eating? also do they have to grown in a greenhouse or can they be grown
outside?

I think mine came from a garden centre, but they are pretty widely
available to buy as packet seed.

I bought a variety that is supposed to be hardy enough to grow outside, as
I reckoned that would do even better in a greenhouse. I think I planted
mine out too soon (early may) as they definitely got a bit of a shock and
stood still for a while before taking off this month.

I always seem to do this with seed! Next year I am resolved I am not going
to plant any seeds before May.

Most varieties you can buy as seed are recommended for greenhouse culture,
so I'd guess that any you got out of a supermarket melon would probably
prefer that, unless you are somewhere particularly sheltered and warm (I'm
not!)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill