Old 19-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Where can I get straw from???

"ned" wrote in news:bcr5km$lsduj$1@ID-
115413.news.dfncis.de:

dommy wrote:
Hi all, i have a smelly compost pile and I need high carbon

material,
ie straw to balance the pile. Can anyone tell me where i can get it
from, i dont have a farm near by, where else do they sell it?

Ah, so there are advantages to living in the country.
Straw - £1 a bale
Hay - £2 a bale
....... farm prices.

.... but only if you have somewhere to store it, and a car that you don't
mind getting covered in it!

I buy petshop hay for my rabbits because I don't want to allocate all that
dry shed space to a bale of hay that would hang about for months, and I
like my car grass-free!

I'd guess if Dommy just wants to 'dress' a domestic compost heap with a
little straw, a mini-bale from a petshop would be enough.

Hint for Dommy: small non-chain petshops often sell straw and hay much
cheaper than the big chains, which seem to have a 3-quid minimum on
everything they sell!

Victoria