Old 19-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Koi Clay

Hmmm, (I'm not yelling/scolding!) but Koi Clay is a trade-marked name for a
specific brand of clay. It is highly refined and ground to the consistency
of talcum powder, and it actually dissolves in water. As it dissolves and
passes through the water column, it collects impurities in the water and
acts as a floculant. It can be added to paste food, or dry food can be
sprinkled with water (or orange juice!) and a dusting of Koi Clay can be
applied, allowed to dry, then fed to the fish. It's pure enough that even
YOU can eat it (it's sold in health food stores as a detoxin). I've mixed it
with water and used it as a mud-pack facial.

The stuff you're talking about is NOT "Koi Clay", even if it is calcium
bentonite (Montmorillion is a place in France where its mined . . . calcium
bentonite is the "generic" or "scientific" name).

The fish may enjoy playing with the pellets, and it certainly won't hurt
them, but it is by no means the same thing. Pellets will not accomplish the
same things. You might as well toss in kitty litter.

Lee

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I got a sample of Calcium Montmorillonite clay pellets from Perfect Earth
that my koi are having a good time rolling in their mouths and spitting
out, turning around and picking it up and doing it again. I was contacted
by this company to let my club members know about the product and to
request a free sample. I thought I'd pass it on here too.

Martin Matushek is the contact person at if the
website
www.perfectearthkoi.com doesn't mention a free sample. ~ jan

Please check out my website before saying I must be a vendor. ;o)
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website