Old 19-06-2003, 12:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Koi Clay

I got a sample of Calcium Montmorillonite clay pellets from Perfect Earth
that my koi are having a good time rolling in their mouths and spitting
out, turning around and picking it up and doing it again. I was contacted
by this company to let my club members know about the product and to
request a free sample. I thought I'd pass it on here too.

Martin Matushek is the contact person at if the
website
www.perfectearthkoi.com doesn't mention a free sample. ~ jan

Please check out my website before saying I must be a vendor. ;o)
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 19-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Common now Jan, we can get the same thing free from BeningVanilla for free,
and to boot he will thanks us for getting all that clay off him!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 19-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Hmmm, (I'm not yelling/scolding!) but Koi Clay is a trade-marked name for a
specific brand of clay. It is highly refined and ground to the consistency
of talcum powder, and it actually dissolves in water. As it dissolves and
passes through the water column, it collects impurities in the water and
acts as a floculant. It can be added to paste food, or dry food can be
sprinkled with water (or orange juice!) and a dusting of Koi Clay can be
applied, allowed to dry, then fed to the fish. It's pure enough that even
YOU can eat it (it's sold in health food stores as a detoxin). I've mixed it
with water and used it as a mud-pack facial.

The stuff you're talking about is NOT "Koi Clay", even if it is calcium
bentonite (Montmorillion is a place in France where its mined . . . calcium
bentonite is the "generic" or "scientific" name).

The fish may enjoy playing with the pellets, and it certainly won't hurt
them, but it is by no means the same thing. Pellets will not accomplish the
same things. You might as well toss in kitty litter.

Lee

Old 20-06-2003, 07:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I called it Koi Clay, as a descriptive, this vendor calls his clay Perfect
Earth. They also sell it in powdered form, but if one doesn't need that,
but wants the nutritional components for their koi, here's a sample of a
different product.

I was just mentioning it so those interested on rec.ponds could get a free
sample, and I might add a very generous sample of 1 lb. of the pellets is
what myself and other members of our club have been receiving.

The messenger feels beaten. ( ~ jan

On 19 Jun 2003 07:56:07 -0500, "Lee Brouillet" wrote:

[...]

.. .
I got a sample of Calcium Montmorillonite clay pellets from Perfect Earth
that my koi are having a good time rolling in their mouths and spitting
out, turning around and picking it up and doing it again. I was contacted
by this company to let my club members know about the product and to
request a free sample. I thought I'd pass it on here too.

Martin Matushek is the contact person at if the
website
www.perfectearthkoi.com doesn't mention a free sample. ~ jan

Please check out my website before saying I must be a vendor. ;o)
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 20-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Oh Jan, I'm sorry: I didn't mean it to be a nasty reply - I was trying to be
informative, and I guess I came off as snippy instead. Not what I wanted to
portray . . .

There are many forms of bentonite clay (including kitty litter). It's just
that the different forms of it behave differently. I've purchased several
different varieties of it (but not the imported Japanese version) to see how
they work.

I sincerely apologize. I don't look to beat up on anyone, especially someone
that's as helpful as you've always been.

Lee

Old 21-06-2003, 02:08 AM
RichToyBox

This clay, based on review of the web site is apparently ground fine and
then pelletized for convenience. The fine powder is less expensive than the
pellets. I don't know if the numbers in the chart are correct or not, but
it appears to be better than any of the others, but that could all be
advertising hype. I have used 2 of the other brands, and may have to give
this one a try.
--
RichToyBox

Old 21-06-2003, 07:32 AM
zookeeper

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
I got a sample of Calcium Montmorillonite clay pellets from Perfect Earth

Martin Matushek is the contact person at if the
website
www.perfectearthkoi.com doesn't mention a free sample. ~ jan

Jan, thanks for the info. My "koi clay" just arrived yesterday by UPS.
Will be giving it a first test run tomorrow. After I test this powdered
clay, I might have to give the Perfect Earth product a test too. Having
the clay in pellets sounds like it'd give the koi something to do with
their mouths while they're constantly scoping out the bottom of the pond
looking for something. **In some ways they remind me of infants needing
oral stimulation like pacifiers or older humans with their cigarettes.** ;-)

--
zookeeper

Old 26-06-2003, 07:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Lee already sent this to me via e-mail and I've been so busy that I just
can't manage to keep up. So that the group knows, as I said then to Lee.
"No problemo." ) ~ jan

Old 26-06-2003, 08:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Common now Jan, we can get the same thing free from BeningVanilla for

free,
and to boot he will thanks us for getting all that clay off him!

YES!!! YES!!!

Just visit mydamnorangepond.com for a free 55 gallon sample. Hey, I should
go register that domain name. Or maybe onorangepond.com.

BV.

Old 26-06-2003, 10:32 PM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message

Common now Jan, we can get the same thing free from BeningVanilla for

free,
and to boot he will thanks us for getting all that clay off him!

YES!!! YES!!!
Just visit mydamnorangepond.com for a free 55 gallon sample. Hey, I should
go register that domain name. Or maybe onorangepond.com.

Go for it!! Either would be a great name for the pond and a domain name.
--
zookeeper

Koi Clay Ed Schwing Ponds 4 07-02-2004 06:46 PM
Koi clay- Joan Ponds 2 30-08-2003 09:22 PM
Koi Clay Jeanne Ponds (alternative) 0 01-08-2003 05:02 AM
Koi Clay effect on Biofilters??? Steve J. Noll Ponds 2 14-04-2003 02:11 PM
Clay Clay and More Clay BTInternet News United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 09:32 PM