Old 19-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default A bit OT - pergolas

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Lynda Thornton writes:

| I just wondered if anyone on here could give me an idea of how much a
| pergola would cost, I am thinking of one to cover our patio which is
| about 10'x10' and then extend along from that over a 3ft wide walkway
| for another 6-8'.
|
| Anyone here got one/know how much these things cost? I was also
| thinking of having some brushwood type covering over some of it to
| provide extra shade - any comments? Would it be better with a lean-to
| type slope on the 'roof' bit or flat as most are?

Incredibly variable, depending on type, quality and whether you
build it yourself. I built one a bit like that for a couple of
hundred quid, and I can climb on it!

Consider planting a Vitis coignetae or similar deciduous climber
for the shade, as you probably want the light in winter. It takes
longer than brushwood, but is a better result.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hi Nick

The only thing is do they get full of insects and spiders which then fly
around and drop on your head from the foliage? I see what you're saying
about the light but at least I could get the cobweb brush onto the
brushwood
--
Lynda Thornton