Old 19-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default A bit OT - pergolas

Hi

I just wondered if anyone on here could give me an idea of how much a
pergola would cost, I am thinking of one to cover our patio which is
about 10'x10' and then extend along from that over a 3ft wide walkway
for another 6-8'.

Anyone here got one/know how much these things cost? I was also
thinking of having some brushwood type covering over some of it to
provide extra shade - any comments? Would it be better with a lean-to
type slope on the 'roof' bit or flat as most are?

Thanks for any info/advice

Lynda
Old 19-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Lynda Thornton writes:

| I just wondered if anyone on here could give me an idea of how much a
| pergola would cost, I am thinking of one to cover our patio which is
| about 10'x10' and then extend along from that over a 3ft wide walkway
| for another 6-8'.
|
| Anyone here got one/know how much these things cost? I was also
| thinking of having some brushwood type covering over some of it to
| provide extra shade - any comments? Would it be better with a lean-to
| type slope on the 'roof' bit or flat as most are?

Incredibly variable, depending on type, quality and whether you
build it yourself. I built one a bit like that for a couple of
hundred quid, and I can climb on it!

Consider planting a Vitis coignetae or similar deciduous climber
for the shade, as you probably want the light in winter. It takes
longer than brushwood, but is a better result.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Al Reynolds

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I just wondered if anyone on here could give me an idea of how much a
pergola would cost, I am thinking of one to cover our patio which is
about 10'x10' and then extend along from that over a 3ft wide walkway
for another 6-8'.

Anyone here got one/know how much these things cost? I was also
thinking of having some brushwood type covering over some of it to
provide extra shade - any comments? Would it be better with a lean-to
type slope on the 'roof' bit or flat as most are?

Thanks for any info/advice

Lynda

It's worth knowing that some council planning departments
are now counting pergolas towards "permitted development"
if they are attached to the house - they consider them
equivalent to a garden room. Best to check this if you already
have an extension or conservatory.

Al

Old 19-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Al Reynolds
writes
[...]

Thanks for that info - that thought had crossed my mind actually, but we
don't have any other kind of extension and this pergola would be in the
place of where a conservatory would be logically built, so I don't think
there would be a problem with it. A lot of the houses around here have
pergolas already, some quite sizeable too. I think it's a bit much for
councils to consider them a room though, they're still open to the
elements and you can't exactly sit in them in the winter can you!

--
Lynda Thornton
Old 19-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Lynda Thornton writes:

| I just wondered if anyone on here could give me an idea of how much a
| pergola would cost, I am thinking of one to cover our patio which is
| about 10'x10' and then extend along from that over a 3ft wide walkway
| for another 6-8'.
|
| Anyone here got one/know how much these things cost? I was also
| thinking of having some brushwood type covering over some of it to
| provide extra shade - any comments? Would it be better with a lean-to
| type slope on the 'roof' bit or flat as most are?

Incredibly variable, depending on type, quality and whether you
build it yourself. I built one a bit like that for a couple of
hundred quid, and I can climb on it!

Consider planting a Vitis coignetae or similar deciduous climber
for the shade, as you probably want the light in winter. It takes
longer than brushwood, but is a better result.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hi Nick

The only thing is do they get full of insects and spiders which then fly
around and drop on your head from the foliage? I see what you're saying
about the light but at least I could get the cobweb brush onto the
brushwood
--
Lynda Thornton

Old 19-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Lynda Thornton writes:
| In article , Al Reynolds
| writes
|
| It's worth knowing that some council planning departments
| are now counting pergolas towards "permitted development"
| if they are attached to the house - they consider them
| equivalent to a garden room. Best to check this if you already
| have an extension or conservatory.
|
| Thanks for that info - that thought had crossed my mind actually, but we
| don't have any other kind of extension and this pergola would be in the
| place of where a conservatory would be logically built, so I don't think
| there would be a problem with it. A lot of the houses around here have
| pergolas already, some quite sizeable too. I think it's a bit much for
| councils to consider them a room though, they're still open to the
| elements and you can't exactly sit in them in the winter can you!

It is unclear whether they have the power to do this, in the case
of a simple pergola. The exact wording is:

Subject to the following provisions of this section, in this
Act, except where the context otherwise requires, "development,"
means the carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other
operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any
material change in the use of any buildings or other land.

Obviously, if the pergola has even small foundations and is firmly
attached to the house, it is more of a building operation than one
that does not and is not. But exactly where the lawyers would
draw the boundary is unclear - and do NOT make the mistake of
thinking that the planning authority's belief is necessarily a
good one.

As I understand the law (and it is interpretation, here), the key
is whether the pergola is easily removable without damaging or
otherwise affecting the house or land to a significant extent.
That is a summary of what I was once told by a (real) lawyer. All
viewed from the obscurist legalistic perspectives, of course ....

Certainly, I can see nothing in that Act that distinguishes the
attachment of a simple pergola to a house from the insertion of
wall-eyes to put climbers up. If they have the power to control
the former, the next step is to control the latter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Lynda Thornton writes:

| Consider planting a Vitis coignetae or similar deciduous climber
| for the shade, as you probably want the light in winter. It takes
| longer than brushwood, but is a better result.
|
| The only thing is do they get full of insects and spiders which then fly
| around and drop on your head from the foliage? I see what you're saying
| about the light but at least I could get the cobweb brush onto the
| brushwood

Not if it is like any I have seen! All you will do is to shake
a lot of insects and spiders loose to drop on your head :-)

Also, the lifetime of even a coniferous brushwood roof is very
short in the UK. A woven mat would be less of a friendly home
to creepy-crawlies, but would last no longer. Unless it were
plastic - yuck.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Paul Kelly

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I was also
thinking of having some brushwood type covering over some of it to
provide extra shade - any comments?

Split bamboo on a roll. £50 for 2m*5m would do a better job giving partial
shade

pk

Old 20-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Paul Kelly p.g.kelly
@btinternetREMOVETHIS.com writes

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I was also
thinking of having some brushwood type covering over some of it to
provide extra shade - any comments?

Split bamboo on a roll. £50 for 2m*5m would do a better job giving partial
shade

pk

Hi Paul - is bamboo more hardwearing, is that what you mean? I wonder
if it would look a funny colour against dark wood?

Lynda

Could use some advice/input about having two custom pergolas built I Love Lucy Gardening 12 11-05-2006 03:46 PM
pergolas Jay Overlake United Kingdom 4 24-08-2004 05:32 PM
A bit OT - pergolas&& Pergolas Direct Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 0 21-06-2003 11:08 PM
A bit OT - pergolas& Pergolas Direct Gerry McKenzie United Kingdom 3 21-06-2003 11:44 AM
Pruning Plants - wandering a bit kush Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:25 AM