Old 19-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Starting Basil from seed

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:43:36 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I start basil indoors. I start everything that I possibly
can indoors: I have much better luck with seeds sown
indoors.

Agreed. I even start some things indoors that you aren't supposed to.
For example, spinach. It may grow in cool weather but at least in my
experience it prefers to germinate at 70F or so. As long as I transplant
it into the garden within a week after it sprouts, it works fine.

Me too. I start both beets and carrots indoors and have had
good results by doing so.

At the moment, the only thing I'm NOT starting indoors is
snap beans. I'm not growing corn this year, but I'll
probably start it indoors when I do.

(I don't grow spinach as I prefer chard, and find it vastly
more productive than spinach.)

Pat