Old 19-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default A bit OT - pergolas

In article ,
Lynda Thornton writes:

| Consider planting a Vitis coignetae or similar deciduous climber
| for the shade, as you probably want the light in winter. It takes
| longer than brushwood, but is a better result.
|
| The only thing is do they get full of insects and spiders which then fly
| around and drop on your head from the foliage? I see what you're saying
| about the light but at least I could get the cobweb brush onto the
| brushwood

Not if it is like any I have seen! All you will do is to shake
a lot of insects and spiders loose to drop on your head :-)

Also, the lifetime of even a coniferous brushwood roof is very
short in the UK. A woven mat would be less of a friendly home
to creepy-crawlies, but would last no longer. Unless it were
plastic - yuck.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.