Old 19-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Drakanthus

Default agricultural field

I have just bought a building site, but across a stream comes a two acre
agricultural field. Question, Can I grow veg in an area of it using
raised beds? Secondley Can I fence this area off using fencing one
metre high only. I know I can't turn it into a garden for flowers etc,
but can I do the above.
nick hunton

There was a similar thread on here a couple of weeks ago which went into all
the details. Someone wanted to use an agricultural field as a domestic
garden area. Essentially, you need to get approval from the authorities for
change of usage of the land and possibly even planning permission. The
danger in not getting permission is that the local authority can order you
to rip up the area and convert it back to farm land - as happened to one
unlucky farmer who extended his garden into one of his adjacent fields.

I believe the reason for the draconian law is that once land has become
classed as "garden" then planning permission to further develop that with
more properties / extensions etc is "expected" or "implied". So even if you
just want to grow garden veg in an agricultural field, it is likely to be
refused as the thin end of the wedge towards full property development.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)