Old 19-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Registered User

Location: N DEVON
Default agricultural field

I have just bought a building site, but across a stream comes a two acre agricultural field. Question, Can I grow veg in an area of it using raised beds? Secondley Can I fence this area off using fencing one metre high only. I know I can't turn it into a garden for flowers etc, but can I do the above.

REGARDS NICK.
Old 19-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Drakanthus

I have just bought a building site, but across a stream comes a two acre
agricultural field. Question, Can I grow veg in an area of it using
raised beds? Secondley Can I fence this area off using fencing one
metre high only. I know I can't turn it into a garden for flowers etc,
but can I do the above.
nick hunton

There was a similar thread on here a couple of weeks ago which went into all
the details. Someone wanted to use an agricultural field as a domestic
garden area. Essentially, you need to get approval from the authorities for
change of usage of the land and possibly even planning permission. The
danger in not getting permission is that the local authority can order you
to rip up the area and convert it back to farm land - as happened to one
unlucky farmer who extended his garden into one of his adjacent fields.

I believe the reason for the draconian law is that once land has become
classed as "garden" then planning permission to further develop that with
more properties / extensions etc is "expected" or "implied". So even if you
just want to grow garden veg in an agricultural field, it is likely to be
refused as the thin end of the wedge towards full property development.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 19-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx

Nick,

The thread that Drakanthus is refering to is: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showth...threadid=30807 and the jist of that is, as stated above, you are on dodgy ground if you don't seek the relevant permissions.

Hope this helps

Kevin
Old 20-06-2003, 09:32 AM
BAC

"nick hunton" wrote in message
s.com...
I have just bought a building site, but across a stream comes a two acre
agricultural field. Question, Can I grow veg in an area of it using
raised beds? Secondley Can I fence this area off using fencing one
metre high only. I know I can't turn it into a garden for flowers etc,
but can I do the above.

From a planning viewpoint, you should be able to do anything with it which
can be deemed agricultural, which might include growing vegetables for
'market garden' or stock feeding purposes. Failing that, you could probably
convert it to woodland, or use it as paddock.

Old 20-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| "nick hunton" wrote in message
| s.com...
| I have just bought a building site, but across a stream comes a two acre
| agricultural field. Question, Can I grow veg in an area of it using
| raised beds? Secondley Can I fence this area off using fencing one
| metre high only. I know I can't turn it into a garden for flowers etc,
| but can I do the above.
|
| From a planning viewpoint, you should be able to do anything with it which
| can be deemed agricultural, which might include growing vegetables for
| 'market garden' or stock feeding purposes. Failing that, you could probably
| convert it to woodland, or use it as paddock.

Or what I should like to do, plant breeding. But neither that nor
the uses you mention fit well with raised beds and one metre fences.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-06-2003, 02:20 PM
BAC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| "nick hunton" wrote in message
| s.com...
| I have just bought a building site, but across a stream comes a two

acre
| agricultural field. Question, Can I grow veg in an area of it using
| raised beds? Secondley Can I fence this area off using fencing one
| metre high only. I know I can't turn it into a garden for flowers

etc,
| but can I do the above.
|
| From a planning viewpoint, you should be able to do anything with it

which
| can be deemed agricultural, which might include growing vegetables for
| 'market garden' or stock feeding purposes. Failing that, you could

probably
| convert it to woodland, or use it as paddock.

Or what I should like to do, plant breeding. But neither that nor
the uses you mention fit well with raised beds and one metre fences.

I recall a chap who grew giant cabbages for fodder in one corner of a field,
and he definitely fenced it off, not unreasonably, because he wanted to keep
the rabbits out. He didn't use raised beds, though :-)

Old 21-06-2003, 03:08 AM
shannie

"nick hunton" wrote in message
s.com...
I have just bought a building site, but across a stream comes a two acre
agricultural field. Question, Can I grow veg in an area of it using
raised beds? Secondley Can I fence this area off using fencing one
metre high only. I know I can't turn it into a garden for flowers etc,
but can I do the above.

REGARDS NICK.
--
nick hunton

Hi Nick,
Don't know if this has any relevance in the UK, but we have just had notice
that our land falls under a proposed new european directive called the SAC.
I'll give you the first paragraph of a letter recieved only today.

The European Union's Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC) requires Member States
of the EU to protect wildlife areas of European interest. The European
Communities (Natural Habitats) Regulations 1997 implements the Directive in
Ireland. These Regulations will enable Ireland to designate the most
important areas as Special Areas of Conservation (SAC's) and to afford them
legal protection.

Essentially the document (approx 40pages long) states that special areas,
maritime habitats, grasslands, blanket bogs, heaths, raised bogs and fens,
woodlands, the list goes on and on. have been singled out for conservation.
We happen to live in a very rural part of the country, and an enormous area
has been earmarked for this, we just happen to be in the middle of it. This
is happening all over the country. Why am I telling you this? It states in
the letter that if the land use is to be changed for whatever reason we must
have permission to do what we intend. For example, on our land (which is
only an acre) we have an area of about half that has been in grass for over
100 years, if we want to add fertilizer, spread slurry, turn turfs etc we
must get permission, as the document states that if the area has remained
unchanged for at least ten years then it should remain so .This has not
come into effect yet, but when it does, simply changing the use of land will
not be as simple as it seems.

Maybe it's already in the UK, maybe it's on the way, maybe it'll never
happen, I don't know, but it's worth bearing in mind that (here anyway)
it's not just the council we will have to notify but the department of the
enviornment also.

There's a link containing more info. http://www.duchas.ie/en/SACsSPAs/

Shan