Old 04-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Tanya

Default crown rot -- please advise!

Bob Walsh wrote:

Tanya,

You might try putting it in a pot partially filled with foam peanuts and
topped with sphagnum. Then put it in a ziplock bag with the top turned down
so it stays open a ways. I have done this with phals just out of flask and
into compots ala Bedford Orchids "flasking demistfied." I have not tried it
to rescue a plant but who knows, it might work. It will keep the humidity
up. Don't leave much if any water in the bottom of the bag.

For the roots someone somewhere suggested just pulling the soft stuff the
old roots and leave the "wire" to help stabilize the plant in it's new pot
while it grows new roots.

i did that

Good Luck,

Bob

thank you very much for the reply!
both leaves are yellow i had repotted it (Sunday) into the culture you suggest
(moss and packing peanuts)
and yesterday more roots were black -- unless it can survive wOut leaves i
guess there's nothing else i can do...
i don't have a green thumb but i have never seen a plant go this fast (and it's
been here at least 6 weeks)
i really wonder whether my STUPIDLY trying to clean up the leaf last week
caused this (like pulling a hangNail would???)
thanks again
sincerely
Tanya