Old 19-06-2003, 11:56 PM
K30a

Default Newbie pond planning questions

You can use Mosquito Dunks to control mosquitoes.

You might end up with frogs, toads and the resulting tadpoles next spring. With
enough water and plants they should do okay. You can try netting out the eggs,
or netting the pond during breeding season,
early spring for most frogs/toads. All summer for bullfrogs.
What you don't want to have happen is a zillion eggs, an ammonia spike and a
pond full of dead tadpoles.
Building a simple filter around your pump can help if you find yourself running
a frog/toad love motel.

Planning a pond for netting saves a lot of hassle in the fall or in the spring.

I'd double the pond from 500 to, at least, 1000 gallons. Bigger ponds are more
forgiving and everybody always thinks they should have gone
bigger. I have a 3,000 gallon pond and an 800 gallon
bog. :-)

k30a