Old 20-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default chicken manure

The message
from "Coffea ramosa" contains these words:

Hi,

Would manure from chickens with salmonella have any effect on the plants?

I'm considering getting my own chickens for fresh eggs, enjoyment and manure
for my plants..

Remember, wild birds also carry salmonella in their gut and drop
manure on gardens. Salmonella does not harm plants, but it's not a good
idea to put fresh neat chicken manure on/near them anyway. It's much too
strong and can damage roots.It's a brilliant compost accelerator so the
best method of using the manure is to add it to your compost heap. The
main salmonella hazard from home hens is from bad handling by the
owner...letting eggs get mucky or cracked, or spilling gut contents onto
the carcass when butchering.

In line with all the lovely "tasted my first vegetable/fruit"
posts...you haven't tasted a real egg (or mayonnaise, custard, lemon
curd etc) until you've tried it fresh from your own free range
grass-grazing chicken:-)

Janet.