Old 20-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Dianna Visek

Default quince tree growing

Thanks! Dianna

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:48:14 GMT, (zog) wrote:

(Dianna Visek) wrote in
:

This is all very interesting. I'm trying to decide whether to plant a
quince. But tell me about the insect troubles. How much spraying is
required?

Thanks, Dianna
______________________________________________ _
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

The spray program is similiar to apple or pear but must continue through
September and some years into early October. Dormant oil spray in late
November and/or early Feb followed by a general fruit tree spray at
reccomended intervals. I have children & pets so I use rotenone/pyrethrum
with either sulfur or copper depending on the temperature. With use of a
preader/sticker I try to spray at 7-10 day intervals. The main pests are
coddling moth and apple maggot although aphid and leaf hoppers may be a
nuisance. Fungal diseases are a leaf spot and brown rot of the fruit.
Thankfully fire blight is very occassional and is controlled w/ the removal
of the affected branch.

The Spring (and sometimes the Summer and Fall) here often has long periods
of rainy or very windy weather that makes spraying impossible and in those
years a great deal of fruit damage occurs. Even if the crop is sometimes
dissapointing the tree is still very ornamental. I grow it as a low multi
stemmed bush about 15' around and 7 or 8' tall although most growers seem
to prefer a 12-15' tall single trunk tree.

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.