Old 16-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Dianna Visek

Default quince tree growing

I'm in E. central Illinois, zone 5b. Ornamental quinces do fine here,
but I don't know anyone who's grown quinces for the fruit. What do
they like? Do they need a second tree as a pollinator?

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 17-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Noydb

Dianna Visek wrote:

I'm in E. central Illinois, zone 5b. Ornamental quinces do fine here,
but I don't know anyone who's grown quinces for the fruit. What do
they like? Do they need a second tree as a pollinator?

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

http://www.google.com/search?q=quinc...utf-8&oe=utf-8

You might have to reassemble it or you could just surf to
http://www.google.com and search on "quince pollination".

1,110 hits. One of 'em ought to have the information you need.

Bill

Old 18-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Genevieve Tharp

"Dianna Visek" wrote ...
I didn't realize the ornamentals had useful fruit. How big is the
fruit?

I got some from a friend once; I was thinking she had only one bush in her
yard. The fruit is knotty and gnarled, golf ball size or smaller. I cooked
them down whole, then smashed them, then strained them. The jelly/jam I
made from it was quite nice ... mild tasting. I did some batches with just
the ornamental quince and some with pineapple added ... seems like I also
did a quince-pear batch.

Genevieve in Mississippi

Old 19-06-2003, 01:08 AM
zog

(Genevieve Tharp) wrote in
:

"Dianna Visek" wrote ...
I didn't realize the ornamentals had useful fruit. How big is the
fruit?

I got some from a friend once; I was thinking she had only one bush in
her yard. The fruit is knotty and gnarled, golf ball size or smaller.
I cooked them down whole, then smashed them, then strained them. The
jelly/jam I made from it was quite nice ... mild tasting. I did some
batches with just the ornamental quince and some with pineapple added
... seems like I also did a quince-pear batch.

Genevieve in Mississippi

That is the average size though certain larger selections are offered.
Apparently there is also a chinese version w/ 4 to 6" fruit. All of these
were and perhaps still are classified as Chaebomeles.

The garden quince Cydonia is more versatile making not only jelly, but
added 10 to 20% to apple pie. In a good year (I don't think this will be
one here in the NE) when regular spraying can control the insect pests my
single tree yields more fruit than needed. Even in a year when the insects
win the flowers are very nicely scented and the ripening fruit perfumes a
cosiderable area. It is one of the few edibles that my wife approves of
growing in the front yard.

To further confuse things there is also a Pseudocydonia or chinese quince
tree that has very large fruit also used for jelly, pie and a quince cider.
One of the colleges here a Long Island has several of the trees on campus
and it occasionally makes the local papers with reports of its rarity and
great age.
Old 19-06-2003, 06:30 AM
Dianna Visek

This is all very interesting. I'm trying to decide whether to plant a
quince. But tell me about the insect troubles. How much spraying is
required?

Thanks, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 20-06-2003, 01:56 AM
zog

(Dianna Visek) wrote in
:

This is all very interesting. I'm trying to decide whether to plant a
quince. But tell me about the insect troubles. How much spraying is
required?

Thanks, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

The spray program is similiar to apple or pear but must continue through
September and some years into early October. Dormant oil spray in late
November and/or early Feb followed by a general fruit tree spray at
reccomended intervals. I have children & pets so I use rotenone/pyrethrum
with either sulfur or copper depending on the temperature. With use of a
preader/sticker I try to spray at 7-10 day intervals. The main pests are
coddling moth and apple maggot although aphid and leaf hoppers may be a
nuisance. Fungal diseases are a leaf spot and brown rot of the fruit.
Thankfully fire blight is very occassional and is controlled w/ the removal
of the affected branch.

The Spring (and sometimes the Summer and Fall) here often has long periods
of rainy or very windy weather that makes spraying impossible and in those
years a great deal of fruit damage occurs. Even if the crop is sometimes
dissapointing the tree is still very ornamental. I grow it as a low multi
stemmed bush about 15' around and 7 or 8' tall although most growers seem
to prefer a 12-15' tall single trunk tree.
Old 20-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Dianna Visek

Thanks! Dianna

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:48:14 GMT, (zog) wrote:

(Dianna Visek) wrote in
:

______________________________________________ _

Old 27-07-2003, 08:12 AM

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 23:20:06 -0400, Noydb wrote:

Dianna Visek wrote:

I'm in E. central Illinois, zone 5b. Ornamental quinces do fine here,
but I don't know anyone who's grown quinces for the fruit. What do
they like? Do they need a second tree as a pollinator?

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

http://www.google.com/search?q=quinc...utf-8&oe=utf-8

You might have to reassemble it or you could just surf to
http://www.google.com and search on "quince pollination".

1,110 hits. One of 'em ought to have the information you need.

Bill

No, they don't need a pollinator, they're like a pear but bigger and
harder - usually thet need cooking for at least two hours, sometimes
mote. Dehydrated, they make delicious quince paste.when cream is added
the Italians call it 'Romeo e Gullietta (?) The scent of ripe quinces
is out of this world - try a bowl of them in your bedroom
One tree is plenty, it's not the sort of fruit you eat bagfuls of.
But when you do have a tree you will make lots of new friends
Barrie

Old 28-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Ben Sharvy

Here's some info about the quince:
http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible8.html#Quince

It is generally prone to the same problems as the apple, but less severely.
Old 30-07-2003, 03:02 AM
John Savage

G'day Barrie!

writes:
No, they don't need a pollinator, they're like a pear but bigger and
harder - usually thet need cooking for at least two hours, sometimes
mote. Dehydrated, they make delicious quince paste.when cream is added

You can slice the quice flesh off the core and stew it with sugar and
water and the time it takes to cook is just the time it takes to
bring the water to the boil (plus a few mins for good luck). I wash the
fruit but don't bother peeling it. Slice in rough chinks 1/8" thick.
Quinces can be spiced and cooked whole in the oven for a more gourmet-
tasting dessert.

Old 30-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Dianna Visek

Do squirrels like quince? I discovered this year that they love very
unripe peaches. Next year I'm going to have to net the trees or try
some other drastic measure.