Old 20-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default lily-eating critters

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
I have some lovely red lillies in a pot, but the leaves are being

munched by
rather odd looking bugs.

They're only on the lillies - haven't touched any of the other

plants. They
have little tiny munching heads attached to long (about half to one
centimetre), swollen orangish bodies. They seem also to be covered

in what
can only be decribed as poo, and leave big (almost the same size as

the
bugs) wet lumps of it all over the leaves as well.

When I first noticed them, there was a small red hard-backed beetle

sitting
on one of the leaves too, but this may just have been a coincidence

as it
looked nothing like these grubs.

Anyone have any ideas what these might be? I've never seen them

before, but
have had these lillies for a good few years now. As a remedy, I've

just
pulled of the leaves they're on and thrown them away, but would love

to know
what on earth they are.

Thanks

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

The red one is the adult Lily beetle and the things that look like poo
are their larvae. They are lethal and will destroy your lilies.
Easiest to pick off the adults and squeeze them between finger and
thumb. I understand that the Provado Ultimate Bug Killer works well
on this pest. Other members of the group have tried it.

HTH
Iris McCanna