Old 20-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Elizabeth

Default lily-eating critters

I have some lovely red lillies in a pot, but the leaves are being munched by
rather odd looking bugs.

They're only on the lillies - haven't touched any of the other plants. They
have little tiny munching heads attached to long (about half to one
centimetre), swollen orangish bodies. They seem also to be covered in what
can only be decribed as poo, and leave big (almost the same size as the
bugs) wet lumps of it all over the leaves as well.

When I first noticed them, there was a small red hard-backed beetle sitting
on one of the leaves too, but this may just have been a coincidence as it
looked nothing like these grubs.

Anyone have any ideas what these might be? I've never seen them before, but
have had these lillies for a good few years now. As a remedy, I've just
pulled of the leaves they're on and thrown them away, but would love to know
what on earth they are.

Thanks

Elizabeth

Old 20-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Tim

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:33:42 +0100, Elizabeth
wrote:

[...]

Sound like the larvae of a beetle to me. Very similar to Colorado-beetle
larvae (I'm in Austria, don't panic). I suspect the lily beetle. Is that
what it's called ? The adult looks like this:
http://www.ceris.purdue.edu/napis/gif/llba-p.jpg ? The Larvae look like
this : http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=1445005
http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=1445007

Gardening which tells you a bit about it.
http://www.which.net/gardeningwhich/...ilybeetle.html

hope this helps.
Tim.
Old 20-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
[...]

Elizabeth,

The red one is the adult Lily beetle and the things that look like poo
are their larvae. They are lethal and will destroy your lilies.
Easiest to pick off the adults and squeeze them between finger and
thumb. I understand that the Provado Ultimate Bug Killer works well
on this pest. Other members of the group have tried it.

HTH
Iris McCanna

Old 20-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Elizabeth

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprq170z1iwxhha1@localhost...

Sound like the larvae of a beetle to me. Very similar to Colorado-beetle
larvae (I'm in Austria, don't panic). I suspect the lily beetle. Is that
what it's called ? The adult looks like this:
http://www.ceris.purdue.edu/napis/gif/llba-p.jpg ? The Larvae look like
this : http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=1445005
http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=1445007

Gardening which tells you a bit about it.
http://www.which.net/gardeningwhich/...ilybeetle.html

Thanks Tim

That's exactly them, little sods!

Thanks also to Iris for the suggestion of the bug killer. I think I'm going
the organic route of just picking off the affected leaves and getting rid of
them along with the bugs (there weren't more than about ten, though the poo
was everywhere).

Have just read all about them via the above link. Will have to let them know
it's now in Herts and probably Beds as we're near the border.

Elizabeth

Old 20-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Elizabeth" wrote in message

Thanks Tim

That's exactly them, little sods!

Thanks also to Iris for the suggestion of the bug killer. I think

I'm going
the organic route of just picking off the affected leaves and

getting rid of
them along with the bugs (there weren't more than about ten, though

the poo
was everywhere).

Have just read all about them via the above link. Will have to let

them know
it's now in Herts and probably Beds as we're near the border.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

They are not that easy to get rid of. The 'poo' is the larvae and
destined to be adults, but before they do will ruin your lilies as
they are feeding on them. Also the dear little adults are mighty
fast and disappear into the ground to lurk! They are extremely
difficult to eradicate. Sorry to be a pessimist and hope your organic
method works.

Regards
Iris

Old 20-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Paul Kelly

In ,
Barry & Iris McCanna typed:
"Elizabeth" wrote in message

They are not that easy to get rid of. The 'poo' is the larvae and
destined to be adults, but before they do will ruin your lilies as
they are feeding on them. Also the dear little adults are mighty
fast and disappear into the ground to lurk! They are extremely
difficult to eradicate. Sorry to be a pessimist and hope your organic
method works.

The little buggers are red on top and black below. they have the very
effective survival trick of dropping to the ground when sensing danger -
bottom (black) side up ie invisible on the soil.

Hence, best to approach two handed, one cupped below into which the
delightful creatures kindly deliver themselves for squishing!

pk