Old 21-06-2003, 01:56 AM
RichToyBox

Default bead filters

The good bead filters have an air backwash system. If you do not have the
air backwash, then you will need a pretty strong pump to achieve a good
backwash. I have 2, and they are a breeze to clean. You can do it in tie
and coat if you want, but I stopped wearing that kind of stuff when I
retired. You do need some kind of prefilter. At least a leaf trap to keep
the big stuff out of the pump. The better the prefiltering the less often
the bead filter needs to be cleaned. I routinely clean mine about once a
week. It makes me feel like I am doing something. Mine could probably go 2
or 3 weeks with no problem. I have a vortex filter to settle out the solids
in front of the pump.
--
RichToyBox

"David" wrote in message
m...
Are bead filters as good and as easy to clean as they claim ? Trying
to decide
on a filter and was looking for easy cleaning and good quality
filtering.Will I need a prefilter or and other type to go along with
it? koi pond with some plants,2500 to 3000 gals.