Old 21-06-2003, 12:32 AM
David

Default bead filters

Are bead filters as good and as easy to clean as they claim ? Trying
to decide
on a filter and was looking for easy cleaning and good quality
filtering.Will I need a prefilter or and other type to go along with
it? koi pond with some plants,2500 to 3000 gals.
Old 21-06-2003, 01:56 AM
RichToyBox

The good bead filters have an air backwash system. If you do not have the
air backwash, then you will need a pretty strong pump to achieve a good
backwash. I have 2, and they are a breeze to clean. You can do it in tie
and coat if you want, but I stopped wearing that kind of stuff when I
retired. You do need some kind of prefilter. At least a leaf trap to keep
the big stuff out of the pump. The better the prefiltering the less often
the bead filter needs to be cleaned. I routinely clean mine about once a
week. It makes me feel like I am doing something. Mine could probably go 2
or 3 weeks with no problem. I have a vortex filter to settle out the solids
in front of the pump.
--
RichToyBox

m...

Old 22-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Gregory Young

Yes, they are the easiest of any filter I have used to clean! (and I have
used them all over the years!)
Any filter should have a prefilter to catch detritus, before the pump's
impeller gets to it and grinds it into very fine suspended particles, some
of which may pass through the filter.
Happy ponding,
Greg

m...