Old 21-06-2003, 02:32 AM
shannie

Default chicken manure

"Coffea ramosa" wrote in message
Hi,

Would manure from chickens with salmonella have any effect on the plants?

I'm considering getting my own chickens for fresh eggs, enjoyment and

manure
for my plants..

Why in the world would you think your chickens would automatically have
salmonella??...If you manage your chucks well, keep their area clean, look
after your eggs properly, ie, discard cracked/broken ones and in keeping
your henhouse clean not allowing the eggs to get mucky there's little
liklihood in you having salmonella problems. Your chicken manure can be put
on your compost heap along with any wood shavings or straw you use as
bedding and your eggshells can be crushed and added to your heap also. It's
not usually recommended that you use the manure fresh as it will likely do
more harm than good being so high in nutrients as to damage tender roots
etc.
If you have areas dug over your waiting to sow the chucks will clear out
beasties for you too! Mine love to eat ants, wireworms, slugs.....

If you've got the room, time and inclination I'd say go for it. Once they
start laying you'll never eat shop bought eggs again

Shan