Old 21-06-2003, 03:08 AM
shannie

Default agricultural field

"nick hunton" wrote in message
s.com...
I have just bought a building site, but across a stream comes a two acre
agricultural field. Question, Can I grow veg in an area of it using
raised beds? Secondley Can I fence this area off using fencing one
metre high only. I know I can't turn it into a garden for flowers etc,
but can I do the above.

REGARDS NICK.
--
nick hunton

Hi Nick,
Don't know if this has any relevance in the UK, but we have just had notice
that our land falls under a proposed new european directive called the SAC.
I'll give you the first paragraph of a letter recieved only today.

The European Union's Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC) requires Member States
of the EU to protect wildlife areas of European interest. The European
Communities (Natural Habitats) Regulations 1997 implements the Directive in
Ireland. These Regulations will enable Ireland to designate the most
important areas as Special Areas of Conservation (SAC's) and to afford them
legal protection.

Essentially the document (approx 40pages long) states that special areas,
maritime habitats, grasslands, blanket bogs, heaths, raised bogs and fens,
woodlands, the list goes on and on. have been singled out for conservation.
We happen to live in a very rural part of the country, and an enormous area
has been earmarked for this, we just happen to be in the middle of it. This
is happening all over the country. Why am I telling you this? It states in
the letter that if the land use is to be changed for whatever reason we must
have permission to do what we intend. For example, on our land (which is
only an acre) we have an area of about half that has been in grass for over
100 years, if we want to add fertilizer, spread slurry, turn turfs etc we
must get permission, as the document states that if the area has remained
unchanged for at least ten years then it should remain so .This has not
come into effect yet, but when it does, simply changing the use of land will
not be as simple as it seems.

Maybe it's already in the UK, maybe it's on the way, maybe it'll never
happen, I don't know, but it's worth bearing in mind that (here anyway)
it's not just the council we will have to notify but the department of the
enviornment also.

There's a link containing more info. http://www.duchas.ie/en/SACsSPAs/

Shan