Old 21-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] Fertilizer and rain

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lewis"

BUT . . . If you're being deluged like everyone else is, I'd just
wait. No point in fertilizing the ground under your trees --
which is what you are doing when it gets washed out. With
continuous rain, I doubt that the fertilizer is in the soil long
enough to do any appreciable good to or for the trees.

I normally fertilize weekly at this time of year, twice a month
in July, never in August, the build up again until October. I
haven't fertilized most of my trees in a month (wisteria and
azalea are exceptions); they look OK except for a couple of my
"larger" (10-inches) pears which are beginning to show signs of
chlorosis. Our rain chance goes from 80% yesterday, 40% today,
to 20 and 10 percent Sunday-Wednesday, so I may fertilize
everything heavily on Sunday.

Our forecast in New Jersey is similar. I will plan to fertilize Sunday, and
may have to WATER!!! in the next few days.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++