Old 21-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Fertilizer and rain

In a message dated 6/21/2003 12:00:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

With all the rain we've been getting in New Jersey, I'm

wondering if I
should increase fertilizer as so much is being washed right

out of the pots.

It depends upon the fertilizer you are using. For example,

Osmocote is
more dependent on temperature than water.
And, I would think it wouldn't matter if you normally use

liquids such as
Peters.

It also will depend on the soil in any given pot. The more
organic material there is in your soil, the more likely
fertilizer is to bind to the particles and stick around, rain or
no.

BUT . . . If you're being deluged like everyone else is, I'd just
wait. No point in fertilizing the ground under your trees --
which is what you are doing when it gets washed out. With
continuous rain, I doubt that the fertilizer is in the soil long
enough to do any appreciable good to or for the trees.

I normally fertilize weekly at this time of year, twice a month
in July, never in August, the build up again until October. I
haven't fertilized most of my trees in a month (wisteria and
azalea are exceptions); they look OK except for a couple of my
"larger" (10-inches) pears which are beginning to show signs of
chlorosis. Our rain chance goes from 80% yesterday, 40% today,
to 20 and 10 percent Sunday-Wednesday, so I may fertilize
everything heavily on Sunday.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - The phrase

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Ben Griffin

Here in NY, NY its the same story this will be our
rainest june on record ever. I am fertilizing at a
higher strength then usual with dyna grow every week
rather then every 2 weeks. Plus i mix in a little
fish seeweed. I am also reapplying a slow release bio
gold every month rather then the normal 2-3 months.
Because it washes most of it through in a month. The
trees do not seem to be suffering much from the rain
if any. While most other trees in the city have
sagging leaves.

Ben

http://sbc.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Bart Thomas

BUT . . . If you're being deluged like everyone else is, I'd just
wait. No point in fertilizing the ground under your trees --
which is what you are doing when it gets washed out. With
continuous rain, I doubt that the fertilizer is in the soil long
enough to do any appreciable good to or for the trees.

I normally fertilize weekly at this time of year, twice a month
in July, never in August, the build up again until October. I
haven't fertilized most of my trees in a month (wisteria and
azalea are exceptions); they look OK except for a couple of my
"larger" (10-inches) pears which are beginning to show signs of
chlorosis. Our rain chance goes from 80% yesterday, 40% today,
to 20 and 10 percent Sunday-Wednesday, so I may fertilize
everything heavily on Sunday.

Our forecast in New Jersey is similar. I will plan to fertilize Sunday, and
may have to WATER!!! in the next few days.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Bart Thomas

Old 21-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Carl L Rosner

Bart:
I am in the same boat as you.... When there is a day without rain, I
just go out and fertilize my usual... Like today we will have rain this
afternoon, so I wont fertilize until Monday when there is no rain in
sight for 24 hours..... I don't think increasing the amount of
fertilizer would do any good..... there might be harm, though!

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Bart Thomas wrote:

With all the rain we've been getting in New Jersey, I'm wondering if I
should increase fertilizer as so much is being washed right out of the pots.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Carl L Rosner

Bart:
I can't see where increasing the frequency will help.... After all the
rain is still going to wash most of the fertilizer away.... I would
just feed when we have a few days without rain (supposedly this coming
week... )

I would look at your trees carefully, when it is not raining, and just
see if they are suffering from lack of food... watch those leaves...!!

On the other hand has anyone started building an ark??? I hesitated,
since I still don't know how to translate a cubit into inches!! :-D

Old 21-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Marty Haber

Has anyone started building an ark?
Yes: I wrote about it a few weeks ago at this site. Noah has finally come
aboard and we're ready to weigh anchor. My bonsai are lashed to the deck
and my soap, alcohol and vinegar concoction are at the ready.
Marty

just go out and fertilize my usual... Like today we will have rain this
afternoon, so I wont fertilize until Monday when there is no rain in
sight for 24 hours..... I don't think increasing the amount of
fertilizer would do any good..... there might be harm, though!

Hi, Carl:

I was thinking of increasing frequency, rather than amount.

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 23-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Browning, Karl

Going on a similiar note, what would you all recommend as a fertilizer? I only have the one bonsai, a J. Procumbens.

BTW, a cubit is about 18".

--
Karl Browning

Fayette, Ohio
USDA Zone 5b, Sunset Zone 41

I can't see where increasing the frequency will help....
After all the
rain is still going to wash most of the fertilizer away.... I would
just feed when we have a few days without rain (supposedly this coming
week... )

I would look at your trees carefully, when it is not raining, and just
see if they are suffering from lack of food... watch those
leaves...!!

On the other hand has anyone started building an ark??? I hesitated,
since I still don't know how to translate a cubit into inches!! :-D

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...optype=artist_

page&artistid=0000006848

Old 23-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Going on a similiar note, what would you all recommend as a
fertilizer? I only have the one bonsai, a J. Procumbens.

BTW, a cubit is about 18".

Any balanced (APPROX. equal amount of NPK) fertilizer will do.
An on-hand houseplant fertilizer will do. Follow directions on
the label. Peters, MiracleGro, Shultz, ETC.