Old 21-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Pruning Philadelphus

" Emrys Davies" wrote in message ...
'Col',

Thin out old wood after flowering. Take care to retain young shoots,
which will flower the following year.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Yeah, but what it doesn't say after that is you must feed it, as you
have to return what annual pruning has taken away. I suggest pricking
some bonemeal into the soil around the shrub, and then spread a mulch
of well-rotted compost or manure in spring. I do this when I remember
to, and it's revived a division from a plant which was given to me as
"a waste of space" by the previous owner: it's now a good shape, and
flowers freely.

Mike.

"Col" wrote in message
I have a large Philadelphus bush which is about 10 years old. It

flowered freely
for the first few years but now it only gives a few flowers. I have

cut it back
after flowering every year, but more in the manner of a hedge trim

rather than
a proper pruning. Is this perhaps what I am doing wrong?
I wonder if I should be cutting whole branches out rather than just

giving it
a haircut.
Thanks for any advice.