Old 20-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Col

Default Pruning Philadelphus

I have a large Philadelphus bush which is about 10 years old. It flowered freely
for the first few years but now it only gives a few flowers. I have cut it back
after flowering every year, but more in the manner of a hedge trim rather than
a proper pruning. Is this perhaps what I am doing wrong?
I wonder if I should be cutting whole branches out rather than just giving it
a haircut.
Thanks for any advice.

Col
--
Well, La-di-da,
All of Felicity Kendal's knickers,

Old 21-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Emrys Davies

'Col',

Thin out old wood after flowering. Take care to retain young shoots,
which will flower the following year.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 21-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Mike Lyle

" Emrys Davies" wrote in message ...
'Col',

Thin out old wood after flowering. Take care to retain young shoots,
which will flower the following year.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Yeah, but what it doesn't say after that is you must feed it, as you
have to return what annual pruning has taken away. I suggest pricking
some bonemeal into the soil around the shrub, and then spread a mulch
of well-rotted compost or manure in spring. I do this when I remember
to, and it's revived a division from a plant which was given to me as
"a waste of space" by the previous owner: it's now a good shape, and
flowers freely.

Mike.

Old 22-06-2003, 10:44 PM
bnd777

Cut out just some of the branches right down at the base

Also after 10 years these shrubs get rather woody
You could dig out the clump and saw it into sections trim them down by at
least 50% and replant .......you will soon find new young foliage appearing
along with flowers
These shrubs are tough as old boots ,,,,,,,I dug out a huge one left it for
months it was even too tough to saw through .........half burnt it on a
bonfire then was able to split it up and its rewarded me with 6 fine new
shrubs

Old 23-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Col

"bnd777" wrote in message
Cut out just some of the branches right down at the base

Also after 10 years these shrubs get rather woody
You could dig out the clump and saw it into sections trim them down by at
least 50% and replant .......you will soon find new young foliage appearing
along with flowers
These shrubs are tough as old boots ,,,,,,,I dug out a huge one left it for
months it was even too tough to saw through .........half burnt it on a
bonfire then was able to split it up and its rewarded me with 6 fine new
shrubs

Thanks for all the feedback.
I have cut a number of the branches out at the base, here's to more
flowers next year!

Col