Old 21-06-2003, 06:44 PM
D.W.

Default There goes the neighborhood?

That is a great page to review. You all are right, it probably is just
mosquito larvae. As for what was causing the fish problems, I think it
was ammonia. I really can't know exactly what level it was when the
fish were having trouble, because when they first started having
trouble I made a guess it was ammonia and added some ammonia remover.
When I tested a few hours later, it was zero. I am surprised at how
quickly it developed, but I think it might have been jumpstarted by
the potting soil that was knocked into it. The stuff is loaded with
ammoniacal nitrogen, nitrate nitrogen, and also "composting forest
materials." Also, I really didn't let the pond balance before adding
fish. I feel so guilty. The fish are doing well in their new tank,
where they will stay for a while.

I am doing a partial water change today, and am cleaning out debris. I
am thinking of adding some "stress zyme." It is supposed to "speed the
development of the biological filter to eliminate ammonia and
nitrite." What do you all think? I am also moving a half the plants of
the plants, though the seem to be doing well. One of the water lettuce
is reproducing itself. And also another of the marginals has put up
lots of new stalks.

You all tried to warn me about getting into ponding.