Old 21-06-2003, 01:32 AM
D.W.

Default There goes the neighborhood?

I certainly didn't expect so much excitement from my new pond so soon.
I am in the middle (I think) of a goldfish emergency. I noticed the
three goldfish this afternoon "gasping" and eating bubbles, also one
of them tailstandsing in the middle of the Hornwort. I am on my way to
get an O2 test kit now. But wait ! there's more. I tested the water
again to see if anything had changed from my test just a few days ago.
Chlorine and copper were zero, and the nitrates and nitrites were also
low. What had changed from the first reading was that the PH had
increased (It was about 7.2), to a little beyond the higher end of
what goldfish like. Also the alkalinity was up, though not
outrageously so.

While taking the test something else happened, that really got my
heart beating. On of our three goldfish started having what looked
like swim bladder problems. It was floating on its side. I removed all
of the fish from the pond.
When I did so I noticed what looked like small worms/larvae in the
water of one of the containers I had just placed the fish in. I placed
each in a seperate container. There were not many, just one larger one
and a couple of small ones. They have dark heads and a red color, and
the tips seem fanned or forked. They stay near the bottom of the tank.
The large one them is about 1/4 inch.

The fish do not have sore looking areas, and they seem to be doing
well now in the different tank. No longer gasping, and they are
swimming fine. Recently, we have also had some trouble with a feral
cat. It has been climbing onto some pots(digging up many of my
starting plants in the process) that are around the water garden, and
knocking dirt into the pond. Gold this cause the water change?

Advise Please!

Thank you
Old 21-06-2003, 03:32 AM
joe

D.W. wrote:

They have dark heads and a red color, and
the tips seem fanned or forked.

Those could be mosquito larvae

Joe

Old 21-06-2003, 04:44 AM
K30a

Try this page to ID your critter.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/pond/index.html

k30a
Old 21-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Wow, k30a, Great page to review.

See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net

Old 21-06-2003, 06:44 PM
D.W.

That is a great page to review. You all are right, it probably is just
mosquito larvae. As for what was causing the fish problems, I think it
was ammonia. I really can't know exactly what level it was when the
fish were having trouble, because when they first started having
trouble I made a guess it was ammonia and added some ammonia remover.
When I tested a few hours later, it was zero. I am surprised at how
quickly it developed, but I think it might have been jumpstarted by
the potting soil that was knocked into it. The stuff is loaded with
ammoniacal nitrogen, nitrate nitrogen, and also "composting forest
materials." Also, I really didn't let the pond balance before adding
fish. I feel so guilty. The fish are doing well in their new tank,
where they will stay for a while.

I am doing a partial water change today, and am cleaning out debris. I
am thinking of adding some "stress zyme." It is supposed to "speed the
development of the biological filter to eliminate ammonia and
nitrite." What do you all think? I am also moving a half the plants of
the plants, though the seem to be doing well. One of the water lettuce
is reproducing itself. And also another of the marginals has put up
lots of new stalks.

You all tried to warn me about getting into ponding.

Old 23-06-2003, 10:20 PM

what is the temperature? do you use an air pump? this sounds like lack of air.
stirring up the bottom of a loaded pond can result in loss of oxygen really fast. it
is a very good idea to keep the fish in a big tub of the pond water with an airstone
while cleaning the pond out.
how old are your test kits?
Ingrid

(D.W.) wrote:

I certainly didn't expect so much excitement from my new pond so soon.
I am in the middle (I think) of a goldfish emergency. I noticed the
three goldfish this afternoon "gasping" and eating bubbles, also one
of them tailstandsing in the middle of the Hornwort.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 23-06-2003, 10:20 PM

save your money. Ingrid

(D.W.) wrote:
am thinking of adding some "stress zyme."

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

There goes the neighborhood Dioclese Gardening 10 04-02-2011 04:24 PM
Relocated to better neighborhood Frank Logullo Gardening 16 12-06-2004 04:03 PM
there goes my shade! griffon Gardening 9 20-03-2004 07:14 PM
Neighborhood Animals and an outdoor pond? Ron G Ponds (alternative) 1 13-10-2003 04:42 PM
its your friendly neighborhood newbie again ;) Lattes Edible Gardening 5 09-08-2003 02:32 PM